Advertisement

Monday, March 26, 2012

Can I get sprinkles on that?


A buddy and I were chatting about Jiu Jitsu and its evolution. With a new generation getting involved and the originators and the purist that are still around. There seems to be a conflict between what is acceptable BJJ and what is not.

We are all aware there are a ton of guards out there, often, to many to even count. Just like Donuts, a little flavor here, a few sprinkles there, you can turn a regular guard into anything you want, and call it what ever you want. From the super creativity of Eddie Bravo and the 10th planet system, to Mad Magazine style (insert word here) Guards. From Quarter Guard, Half Guard, ¾ Guard, Full Guard, DLR guard, Open Guard, Spider Guard, Butter Fly Guard, Hooks Guard, X-Guard etc, etc. Everyone has their own flare they like to put on their game.


I come from an academy that focuses almost solely on Self Defense. So what ever we do in the Guard, or any other position for that matter, priority one is, “Respect the Punch”. And also, you need to be aware that most people don’t fight fair. So be aware of secondary attackers. But I can’t lie; it is fun to fool around during open mat with all the various guards. I love the DLR guard myself, not for any reason other then when I first started and didn’t know anything, this is a position I often found my self in. I didn’t learn it was an actual guard till much much later. Go Figure?!?!


Unlike traditional Martial Arts and other Sports, creativity is a wonderful thing in BJJ. Look at Braulio Estima with his reverse Triangle victories at ADCC this past weekend. I mean, it may not be new, but not a whole lot of people are pulling that off on the main stage these days.


So I encourage everyone to experiment from time to time. Always being aware of your surroundings, and recognizing what is sport and what is self-defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter